Tuesday, September 14, 2010

US bans UK student from travelling to America for life for abusive email

A 17-year-old British boy has reportedly been banned from the United States after firing off an email to the White House in which he referred to President Barack Obama as a "prick," according to news reports.

Luke Angel, 17, of Silsoe, Bedfordshire was investigated after he expressed his dislike of President Barack Obama and the US Government.

The FBI got in touch with Bedfordshire police, who then visited Luke. The police said the e-mail was full of abusive and threatening language.

Angel reportedly did not seem too vexed about the ban. "I don't really care," he said according to the Daily Mail. "My parents aren't very happy about it."

Doesn't this seem like a gross over-reaction? Isn't America supposed to be the land of the free? Isn't the right to free speech one of the founding principles of the USA?

It strikes me that American's simply do not understand the reasons behind anti-American sentiment. We love and cherish you as individuals however, when it comes to your style of world governance - you leave a lot to be desired. Maybe watching this video may help our American cousins understand?



I wonder if this recent action will lead to a stream of British nationals writing to President Obama telling him what they think about him in an effort to get a visit from the police or FBI - A worldwide movement would amuse me greatly- they would never have the resources to read every email / trace the senders and encourage foreign police forces to respond to every email. I hope to see a facebook movement in the near future.

I've been to the US many times and think it is a wonderful country full up with very interesting and sometimes strange people. I personally do not think that President Obama is a prick, I think that he is an imperialist (US foreign policy sucks), a liar (why isn't Guantamo Bay closed?), who has more concern over winning votes than the sanctity of human life, who panders to the corporations whilst individual citizens needs go unheeded. Oh and did I mention I believe he is a war criminal guilty of many counts of extra judicial murder? (just look through the recently leaked docs at Wikileaks.) I wonder if I'll be able to visit my cousin in Florida next summer after my rant?

No comments:

Post a Comment